summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Thursday, October 2, 2014

2 October 2014


October 2 - another wonderful day to enjoy and experience.

 

The weather was warm, sunny, comfortable and still very dry.  I cannot remember the last time we had rain, but it has been weeks if not months.  The plants are crying out for moisture, any moisture...even dew. 

 

The dry weather seems to be producing wonderful fall color.  The greens of summer are just beginning to turn, but I can already tell that the color change is going to be magnificent if the early color hint is any indication.

 

Every day the color of the leaves seem to change more. They become more colorful and more intense.  I do not have a favorite autumn leaf color as I LOVE them all.

 

Earlier in the day, I spied this bird in my ‘woodpecker’ tree.  I am lost as to identification.  Could it be a juvenile red-headed woodpecker?   I haven’t seen a mature red-headed woodpecker in years.  Of course, that does not mean they are not around. In any case, a definite bonus bird for me...named or unnamed.

 













I spent most of the day outdoors.  In fact, I just came in to finish up supper preparation.  It is past 7:30 PM and already dark.  I am not happy with the shorter days, but I must accept the obvious. 


Spotted Sandpiper
I took my laptop down to the pond to write this afternoon.  The setting was perfect, the distractions many.  Fortunately for me, the distractions were welcomed.  The spotted sandpiper cruising along the water’s edge pecking at aquatic insects.  Many fish were randomly jumping out of the water resulting in slow, concentric rings widening out and decorating the calm surface of the pond.  And, the bird of the day…the northern flicker perched in the infamous walnut tree, what I call the kingfisher walnut, growing just feet from the pond.
 
 
Northern Flicker (male)


 
My October is getting off to a magnificent start.
 
 
 
more October color...
 
 

 
 
Variegated Fritillary
mature persimmons
 



 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment