summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, October 20, 2014

Yet Another Use


In the past, we have used our vintage stock trailer for moving more than just our livestock.

 

Remember the tires, hay, and lawn mower?

 

Today, we added another item to that growing list of how we use our stock trailer.

 

Glenn moved some cattle yesterday, so there is a fresh layer
of manure on the floor of the trailer. 



We took our stash of aluminum cans to the recycling center…all 240 pounds.  That was quite a load.  And, we included 7 old batteries and a 3’ section of smashed downspout in the trip. We thought that downspout was aluminum. It wasn’t.  It was another metal. We earned a whopping 17 cents for that piece of downspout.  Still, better than taking up space in the county landfill.

half of our stash of cans

The cans had been piling up in our basement for years.  We repurposed old paper feed sacks to store the cans.  I smashed almost every can by hand…actually, by foot.  I developed quite a technique.  First, I step down in the middle of the can, crush the left side down and then crush the right side down resulting in a very flat can.  And, a flat can takes up a lot less space.  Just imagine if I did not smash our cans - yikes!

 

Now, we need that can-infested corner of the basement for another upcoming project.  The cans finally had to go. 

 

We also recycle plastic, glass, miscellaneous paper, tin cans, and newspaper.  All that stuff really accumulates fast.  But, I truly believe in reusing/recycling wherever possible.  Again, remember, I am a pack rat. If I can reuse/recycle something, I will.  And, I will save it until I can use it. 

 

And, I am so glad that the trailer can be multi-functional, too.  Of course, a person has to be able to overlook that perpetual manure odor.

No comments:

Post a Comment