summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, October 12, 2014

I Just Keep Looking


We had more rain today.  Actually, a heavy overcast day with a mist now and again, a ‘chill to the bone’ kind of day.

 

I had uncovered a solitary rose still growing in my garden the other day.  I had not seen a rose all growing season due to the thickness of the weeds. Weeds seem to flourish with or without rain.  But, over the past few weeks, I had been attacking the weeds and I was seeing significant progress. 
 

getting there...
weeds gone, bricks straightened
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
pre-weeding stage (see photo above), about one week ago
 
 
 
When I came across that perky pink rose, I immediately drew my nose to the petals.  I was not disappointed.  That small rose was filled with scent, sweet and euphoric.

 

I went back to that rose this afternoon.  I needed a jolt of nature’s perfume. 

 
a bit tattered, but still so very sweet




The rose stem was broken, the flower was hanging over and the petals were storm worn.  I finished snapping the stem from the plant.  I took a whiff.  The magnificent scent was still present, so I brought that wee rose into the house and placed it into a small vase where I might get a few more days of fragrance. 


 
even the zinnias were a failure this summer...this was my best, and almost, only zinnia of the growing season

I surveyed my sugar maple before returning inside.  This tree never fails to rattle my color senses.  The leaves always blaze red in the fall.  Regrettably, the rain continues to cause turmoil as the brilliant leaves fall to the ground prematurely. 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Autumn always passes much too quickly for me even with the best of weather.  I cannot lose one moment of the season. 

 

So, I spend much of my time just looking.  Looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment