summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, October 4, 2014

4 October 2014 - Weather Is Changing


Last night’s rain resulted in ideal weeding conditions. What a joy!  I was able to completely pull weeds out of the soil today rather than breaking them off at ground level and leaving the roots in the ground which had been the case for most of the summer as the ground was more akin to cement rather than friable earth. 

 
Can you tell which side I weeded today?

I still have plenty more weeding to go...this is only one small area waiting for my attention.




Even though I was outside most of the day, I did not get very much accomplished as I have a lot of weeds, but I was pleased with the small patch that I was able to finish.  I will continue weeding, at my speed, until the ground freezes which might be any day now.

 

The warm and comfortable autumn temperature has drastically changed overnight.  Today was quite cool and our area has a light frost warning for tonight.

 

Yesterday’s rain was most appreciated, but it also resulted in a down side.

 

Yesterday’s rascally rain and stiff wind played havoc with the beautiful leaves of autumn.  Most of the leaves that had already transformed into colorful gems ended up matted on the ground.  Fortunately, there are still many green leaves remaining on the trees.   I am hopeful that the weather will be favorable again bringing back more mild temps and more color to the mountains.

 

Also, I was glad that I was finally able to harvest the butternut squash before the rain and the colder temperatures arrived.  Now, after a quick wash and rinse in water mixed with bleach at a rate of 10:1 to ward off spoilage caused by bacteria,  this season’s (actually the first butternut squash I have successfully grown in the past four years) butternut squash are now sitting in my living room curing to increase their storage life, so that  I will have enough butternut squash to use now and later into the winter.

 

I am not a big fan of butternut squash but I do have a fabulous recipe for Butternut Bisque compliments of author/artist Susan Branch.  D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!!! 

 

Even if you are lukewarm or even cold about butternut squash, this bisque is sure to please your palette - YUMMY!
 
 
And, we are still getting a few strawberries...so sweet!


The 'FLERD' grazing contently.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment