summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Hurray for Herons


After the rain stopped yesterday, I took a much anticipated walk.  As I neared the pond, I slowed and watched carefully as has become my habit.  If around, I wanted to be able to see the heron before he sees me.  The water was calm and the surrounding area quiet.  I did not see any birds, let alone that heron.  Then, suddenly, the magnificent heron flew up and over the water, slowly gaining height and was soon out of sight.  He outsmarted me again.  Of course, having three dogs at my side does not help me with my stealthy steps or my planned surprise.

 

This morning, I covered my same tracks as from the previous late afternoon.  Again, I saw no birds in sight. Sammy ran ahead, plopped into the pond, and that heron quietly rose and flew steadily away.

 


Where exactly does that Great Blue Heron hide?


 

I continued down to the pond house and sat on the deck for a few moments.  The pond being desolate of wildlife, I would continue my circuit.  As I was leaving the pond house, I looked across the pasture and noticed a large, grey mass in a cedar tree.  On closer inspection, I discovered my heron.  He remained perched in that tree as he preened his feathers.

 
















 
 
 
 
 
I watched that heron through the lens of my camera for at least 30 minutes. This was, undoubtedly, a lucky day for me.  Then, I decided to move on.  As I walked off the dam and made my turn to head down the fence line toward the small leafless walnut tree, where I often see a kingfisher, I caught sight of another heron alight. This heron looked to be a miniature form of the usual pond visiting heron.  In moments, that mini-heron flew to the shore of the pond and as quickly left to fly to hide in a well-leaved tree situated next to the tree where the first heron sat.

 

I did not get a good enough look to fully identify this minute heron, but I did see it long enough to ID it as a heron.

 

WOW! Now I have a couple of herons to keep watch for enjoyment and Glenn has a couple of herons to curse at for eating his pond fish.  I am not particularly fond of the fish.

 
Either way, this is a win-win situation for me. 
 
Then, Glenn mentioned that without his fish I would not be seeing any herons.
 
Hmmm...a kind of Catch-22.

No comments:

Post a Comment