summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Where Have You Been All My Life?


There has been rain, off and on, for the entire day.  In fact, the entire week is forecast with rain. 

 

We are finally getting the moisture that we craved, and had been denied, all summer.  So far, the total rainfall from one day is more than we had captured during the entire summer season.  But, we take rain when we get it.  Fortunately, there is still time for the late season growth of the pastures.  And, the cows and sheep are happy grazers.

 



A rainy day, like today, is perfect for reading a good book while curled up under a cozy quilt. And, that is just what I did. My current read is by Rosamunde Pilcher.  She is a new author for me, of The Shell Seekers fame.  I am enjoying each work of fiction because each one, to date, has been set in England or Scotland and I am always reminiscing about my fabulous trip to that area taken in 2006 with daughter Becky.

 

Yesterday, it was rainy, too, but…

 

We took a full-day road trip up to Pennsylvania.  Glenn needed to pick up parts for equipment repair and was in the vicinity, within an hour’s drive, to pick-up tire chains for his skidder.  Shipping charges for the chains justified the trip with change to spare.  Those chains added 1000 pounds to our empty pick-up bed.  I was sitting in the truck when the crate of chains was lowered, by forklift, onto the bed.  I felt the front end rise, and thinking…was I safe?

 

Between the two business stops, we enjoyed the wooded hills of the Pennsylvania countryside boasting beautiful fall colors.  The roadways were busy, though.  I do not think there was one stretch of road where we had been the only vehicle.  Most of the time, the roads were busy with traffic.  I am not use to a lot of vehicles and I felt more like being in an urban setting that a country one.  And, that is one reason why I live in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.

 


We did pass an apple stand, Ridgetop Orchards. Our recent purchase of local Virginia apples had been consumed, so we decided to replenish our supply with Pennsylvania ones.  We have not had a great tasting ‘golden’ in three years now, so it was time to make a change.  This time Glenn chose Jonagolds over Golden Delicious.  I chose Honey Crisp, again.


Jonagolds - Glenn's pick - he likes the taste and the smaller size



Juicy, sweet and large Honey Crisp apples
 

I had tried Honey Crisp for the first time earlier this season.  I had never even heard of that variety of apple prior to this season’s first apple purchase.  I found my new favorite.  Move over Pink Lady.  Of course, Pink Lady is a very late variety and will be ready in about one month.  I might just change my mind again when the Ladies are harvested, but for now, I am a convert to the Honey Crisp.

 

The Honey Crisps are just like their name suggests; sweet, crisp and crunchy.  The apples in this half bushel are huge, about 12 ounces each, and a meal unto themselves.   Yummy…with juice dripping down the sides of my mouth…napkins are required.

 

Honey Crips…where have you been all my life?

 

P.S.  Ridgetop Orchards offered several heirloom varieties that I have never seen available elsewhere:  Banana, September and Smokehouse.  We were able to sample each.  The Smokehouse came in second, for my taste buds, after the Honey Crisp.  There was also a Candy Crisp variety that would be mature in about 2 weeks…darn, too late for me.  Anything with ‘candy’ in it has to be tasty. 

 

Near Fishertown, PA…I highly recommend a stop at Ridgetop Orchards.

No comments:

Post a Comment