summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Thursday, August 16, 2012

A Canning First


Yesterday was a first…I canned banana peppers. Not only did I can banana peppers for the first time ever, but I had help from my daughter, Becky.  Becky and I have never canned together, ever; a kind of Kodak moment.  Is Kodak still in business?



This was my first attempt at canning banana peppers because this is the first time we ever grew them in our garden; naturally, the canning follows the growing. Becky also grew them in her garden.  So, we combined our efforts to make the final product.




I am not a hot pepper fan, but I do like the taste of sweet banana peppers on sandwiches; adding just a tad of sharpness.  My first exposure to the banana pepper was when I went wild (I rarely experiment with new foods) and had them included on my sandwich at the local Subway.  Hmmm…I liked them.  I wondered if I could replicate the flavor.  I wanted to give it a try.



Peppers are fairly easy to grow.  We grow green peppers annually; and on occasion; jalapeño peppers. Personally,   I steer clear of any hot peppers, even the growing of such, because of a mishap years ago when I tried to make salsa for Glenn.  My hands were ‘on fire’ for days.  It was a most unpleasant experience.  But, I digress...



So, we planted banana peppers.  The plants were very prodcutive.  And, once an adequate amount accumulated, it was time to can.








I prepared the jars, the canning supplies, and the pickling juice.  Becky cleaned and sliced the peppers; I was taking no chances.













The peppers cut; they were spooned into the jars, hot pickling juice added, lidded, and the jars gingerly placed into a hot water bath to seal the lids. 





























Voila…done.  Oh yeah, clean-up was my job, too!



And, the taste?  Well, we will not know the outcome for at least two weeks; the stated ‘resting’ time in the recipe.  But, they are pretty and oh, so colorful!



No comments:

Post a Comment