summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Thursday, August 23, 2012

More Herb Drying - Dill and Tarragon


 

I plant dill for two reasons:  to have fresh available if we can pickles, we never do; and, for use in my cooking/baking. Dill rye bread is so savory and delicious.

 

The process is the same as previously executed for my other herbs (basil, parsley); wash, remove usable parts (dill includes the feather-like leaves and immature seed heads) and place on the dryer racks, plug in the electric and wait.  The mature seed heads are not dried; they are stripped of their seeds which are placed into air-tight storage.  The seeds are used in dill bread, too.
 

fresh dill on rack

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
dried dill on rack
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The strand-like leaves are dry in minutes, but the seed heads take closer to two hours.

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
dill seed stripped from seed heads at right
 
Again, that herb aroma - this time, dill - drifts about my kitchen. 

 

And, again, once dry, crush the dried herb between the fingers, discard stems, and place into air-tight containers.  I opted for the glass jar again since the dried dill weed looks satisfying and pleasing as if on display.

 

This way, I get to enjoy my efforts in two ways; not only in my cooking/baking but also on exhibition.

 

Doubly delightful!

 

Tarragon is a perennial herb I have had growing in the garden for years.  Two years ago, I used some to make tarragon vinegar.  The tall wine bottle filled with the vinegar and sprig of tarragon looks charming sitting on the counter next to my stove. 

 

Unfortunately, I like the looks of the packaging so much, that I tend not to use the vinegar.  But, when I do, the food is enhanced with a hint of the wonderful tarragon flavor.

fresh tarragon
 
I repeated the dehydrator process with my fresh tarragon.   One full, all four racks, dehydrator produced a full 12 ounce jar of dried tarragon flakes.

 

Again, the piece de resistance of the herb drying processes…the aroma wafting through the house.

 

Drying herbs will now be a mainstay on my harvest season ‘to do’ list based on the splendid, heady scents alone; cooking/baking uses being secondary.


dill seed at top, dried tarragon (left) and dried dill weed (right)

 
The saying, “Smell the Roses” could just as well be “Smell the Herbs.”  They are comparable to my senses!

No comments:

Post a Comment