summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, August 27, 2012

More Than Just Apple Pie


The apples started to fall prematurely off my trees over one month ago.


 

 
The wasps came in and hollowed out the fruit.  The squirrels carried them off.  Buddy thought they were his ‘fetch’ ball.



 

Now, it is my time to zero in on the apples…pies, pies, and more pies come to my attention.

 

It is apple pie making time. 

 

And, I am ready…to eat, that is!

 

I made my first apple pie of the season on Saturday; and, today it is gone, as in eaten.   And, if you remember from an earlier post, I just do not make a  wimpy 8 or 9 inch pie plate apple pie; I make a 9” X 13 “ baking dish apple pie.  I make a three crust recipe for my apple pie.  I double the amount of sliced apples required for an ordinary apple pie.  My apple pie is quite generous; and usually, quite tasty.

 

And, …

 

I mowed the upper lawn around the house today; I was joined by a substantial number of butterflies.   They were so pretty as they floated from flower to flower. 

 

As I steered around my apple trees, I could smell the robust fermenting of the windfall apples; almost as if the ground was drenched with wine.
 

 

A surprise and added bonus of the windfall apples…a beautiful Red-spotted Purple was drawn to and  partaking of the sweet spirits.


 


 
 
 
 
 
There is more to an apple than apple pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment