summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Hurrying To Make The Jam


I am in a frenzy.



Since picking the last of the table grapes to dry into raisins yesterday, the bees and wasps have moved to last remaining grapes growing on my vines, the Concords. 



I was waiting on the Concords to fully ripen before I actually harvested; hoping that there would be enough to make a batch of delicious grape jam.



Last night, after a full day of work and my body beginning to shut down for the night; I had to go out and pick the ripe Concords.  Those nasty insects already put a dent into my harvest; and, I could not wait a minute longer.  I grabbed a bowl and forced my feet to move toward the grapes.  Clipping the bunches, I was also harvesting small, green grapes that had not yet matured.  I had to make the sacrifice if I was to get any Concords for my own use.



I made my first batch of Concord grape jam last year.  It was fabulous.  So, I intended to replicate the process this year; pick, wash, and puree the grapes in the food processor.  I needed 4 cups of processed fruit for one batch of jam.



This afternoon, I puréed the grapes which resulted in only 3 1/2 cups; I needed another ½ cup.   I had to go back to the vines and find more, ripe grapes.



Slowly, I hand-picked, one purple grape by one purple grape, among the buzzing bees to gather enough fruit to fulfill those 4 processed cups required for the recipe. 



Sigh…I made it.  I will be able to make my jam.



Now, in a pot, mix and boil the processed grapes, pectin, and sugar.  Then, ladle the mixture into glass jars, place and tighten lids, and submerse into a hot water bath for 15 minutes. When I placed the first jar into the boiling water I heard a big POP.  I was hoping that was a lid sealing, but I really knew better; that POP was the sound of a jar breaking. 



I ended up with five precious jars of 2012 grape jam. 



I am reminded of a passage my favorite author, Gladys Taber, wrote in Stillmeadow Calendar (1967).  I had used the quote in the most recent, September 2012, Friends of Gladys Taber newsletter.  Talking about new-picked vegetables, in addition to outstanding taste, Gladys writes,” And nothing, I must add, that costs more and involves more work.”



The same can be said about my homemade jam; fortunately, the outstanding taste, all rich Concord grape,  is worth the effort and cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment