summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Transplanting Future Shade Trees



A few years ago, Becky gave me a bunch of teeny tiny tree seedlings that she got by becoming a member of the Arbor Day Foundation.



One of the seedlings, a Golden Rain Tree, was planted near the house in a spot just perfect for a shade tree.  The tree grew tall quickly.  Then, an oak planted by a squirrel and a  maple planted by the wind established themselves within the same growing space.  Ugh…Glenn is favoring the oak over the other tree species; and, only one will survive his cut.  Glenn is a forester and a timber species will always be preferred over a mediocre shade tree species.  As for me, any tree in my yard is a virtuous tree…for shade, for birds’ retreat, for beauty during every season. 


'Mother' Golden Rain Tree (center),  maple (left), oak (right)


Fortunately, that first tree has produced seed which dropped to the ground resulting in ten thriving seedlings.


seed pods











Two days ago, Glenn and I dug and transplanted two of those seedlings to other spots in my yard more favorable to their growing and reaching maturity.  Therefore, if those two seedlings survive transplanting, I will not feel as bad about removing the mother tree to allow the white oak to grow.




short now, but I have 'high' hopes for this little seedling

I am also saving a choice spot in my yard for a different tree seedling, a curly willow, a friend is supposed to give me.   I have asked about that seedling for years, and she has mentioned it frequently herself.  But, to date, there is no curly willow growing in my yard.



Right now, Ann (remember her…the friend I rarely see - it has been months) is up to her eyes overseeing 'Camp Grandma', as her daughter fondly refers, and is loving every second.  Ann is busy, shall I say, nurturing her own little acorns.  Her seedlings (her grandkids) are lucky to be flourishing off such a mighty oak as Ann.



‘Hey Ann…I will trade you two of my Golden Rain Tree seedlings for one of your Curly Willow?’

1 comment: