summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, August 18, 2012

A Wonderful Aroma


I cannot stop sniffing my fingers.  They smell like licorice; and, I like licorice.


basil bouquet
















I was stripping leaves off a basil plant. And, even though I have washed my hands several times, my fingers retained the pleasant aroma.  So, I keep sniffing.  Quite frankly, the scent is quite relaxing; not quite lavender, but close.



Thus, another ‘first’ for me….drying herbs. 




Today, I am drying basil.  The essence is permeating my kitchen and it makes the entire process fun and joyful.






















Basil dries quickly.  Within a short hour or so , I am removing the dried leaves, crumpling them between my fingers making basil flakes.  Then, into air-tight baggies and I am set with a year’s worth of dried basil. 






















I still have a couple of plants left in the herb bed which I will continue to utilize fresh while I am able.





Basil is a favorite herb of mine, and I am glad I discovered a new way; for me, that is, to extend my basil season!

No comments:

Post a Comment