summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, August 13, 2012

Making Raisins

The sweet grapes which I mentioned in my blog only days ago (8-9-12) are starting to decrease by the likes of the many bees/wasps that I had mentioned. And, early this morning, I think I even saw a flock of birds fly away from the vineyard location - ugh!



It is time…




It is time to pick the grapes and make raisins.



About thirty years ago, I experimented with making raisins by using store-bought grapes and a homemade solar dryer; a cardboard box with a Saran Wrap cover.  The dryer worked, but it took weeks to produce a handful, and I mean a handful, of raisins.



Yesterday, I clipped enough bunches of grapes to fill my electric dehydrator; and, a few extra to eat as I worked.  I filled all four trays.




This morning, the juicy grapes which I placed last night are shrinking, but are not quite raisins, yet.  So, I rearranged the trays; top tray to the bottom, middle trays switched, and bottom tray to the top to insure better heat distribution.



And, I wait.



If I get raisins, I should have enough grapes left on the vines to do one more batch; that is, unless the grape raiders return in large numbers.



I am keeping my fingers crossed. 



Glenn likes to eat raisins as a snack, and I like to use raisins in my baking; mainly in cookies and scones.



And, if the raisins taste as good as the grapes did, I will be ecstatic.  Yet one more crop to tout as our very own.



The results are in…the raisins are a bit dry; too long in the dryer, I guess.  But, as my first real attempt at grape transformation; the results are not too bad.  I will definitely be making more raisins; shortening the drying time, though.



Dry, yes; but, exceptionally sweet - a perfect addition for my oatmeal raisin cookies.


Note (8-14-12): I shortened the drying time on my second batch of grapes to raisins - just   
                        right! 


No comments:

Post a Comment