summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Dehydrator Drying… Next!





Parsley is next.



I did not grow much parsley this year as I was experimenting with the herb in my garden.



For future reference, I also decided try a bit of drying since I was so happy with the results from drying basil.



I do use dried parsley flakes in much of my cooking (soups, stews, lasagna) and baking (herb bread), so the necessity of growing and drying is justified.


fresh parsley leaves on tray


A quick wash, remove the leaves from the coarsest stems, plop on the dryer racks, plug into the electricity, and wait!  And, while I wait, I smell the pleasing aroma of fresh parsley leaves.


dried parsley

After a couple of hours, the parsley is dry.  I rub the dried leaves between my fingers to flake, discard any stems, and place into storage. This time I am employing a lidded glass canning jar. The dried parsley looks so pretty; bright green and ready for use in the glass container.





Drying herbs is so easy and so pleasantly and earthy aromatic. 




I enthusiastically recommend the entire process: growing, drying, cooking/baking.



My next trial …dill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment