summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, March 30, 2012

Add Cows

New fences…new gates…add cattle; naturally, the next step in the progression.



And, yesterday was that day we added the cattle to ‘55’.



The day started as a beautiful spring day; sunny and warm, more colorful flowers in bloom, fruit trees abuzz with bees, birds being frisky, cows contently grazing…and then, came the time to load and move the cattle.



The day progressed, alright; from good to bad to worse.


First, Glenn and Becky repaired old, interior fences and put up gates in the barn to make the entire '55' property cattle ready...meaning, once the cattle were on the property, there were no points of exit. That quick chore lasted all morning until 2:00 in the afternoon.  But, Glenn thought there was still time left in the day to move the cattle...wishful thinking or stupid thinking?


Glenn had decided to move all the Angus, what I affectionately call our ‘second string’ herd; while keeping the entire South Poll breed, ‘first string’, on the main farm.



Using our vintage cattle trailer, the move would be accomplished in four trips. 




First, gather the cows.  Second, separate the cows. Third, start loading. 



The cows were not cooperating from the start.   And, of course, both Jake and Buddy followed us down to the cows; thus, contributing to the overall unrest.  One cow decided she was not moving and gave birth right at the moment of gathering. (Note:  cute calf - ½ Angus, ½ South Poll - black with a white spot on its left cheek - did not have time to check sex). After the birth, huge vultures assembled nearby.



The first load of six arrived at ‘55’.  They gingerly stepped off the trailer into the barn lot of their new home.  Slowly moving about and investigating.  We returned for the next load.



The dogs again followed us from the house back down to the loading area.  The second group of cows was even more uncooperative.  On the drive back, one of the trailer tires started to smoke.  I was following behind the trailer in my car, so I had to drive ahead and motion to Glenn to pull over.  Evidently, one of the cows was pushing the side of the trailer against the tire.  Glenn tried to rearrange the cows without having a bovine escape on a major highway.  My heart began to beat fast.  The cows did not rearrange, but they did not escape either.  Fortunately, the second load made it to ‘55’, unloaded, and we returned to Mountain Glen for load #3.




The dogs back at the house decided to followed us again.  Buddy loved the extra activity, but old Jake was slowing down.  He was told to stay, but once a farm dog always a farm dog.  He had to be a part of any farm activity.




The third load continued to be difficult to load.  Glenn, Becky and I had our specific jobs, but the cows did not seem to care about our organization.  They were not playing.  The mama cow had moved with her calf to the loading area, but upon our arrival, again; they moved.  That little calf was so strong and fast considering it had just been born; a plus for our management. 



The third load made it to ‘55’, unloaded, and we went back to the farm.  It was starting to get dark and we wanted to finish the task.  By this time, I was exhausted physical and mentally.  I wanted to quit, but I was not allowed. 


the 'real' farmers of Mountain Glen Farm and '55'
new home at '55'

Finally, the fourth and final load remained to move.  The dogs followed again - Jake was moving, creeping slower than ever.  The last five cows were even more ornery.  Then, as I was trying to keep a few cows on the trailer and watching for a cow coming through the chute behind me, a cow retreated from the trailer causing the heavy metal door to bang into my mouth, full force against my two top front teeth.  Quite frankly, I could not tell if I had any teeth left in my mouth.  Glenn was not sympathetic as he wanted those last 5 cows loaded.  Becky gave me a quick hug.  I went to cry.  I looked in the truck side view mirror and saw that at least one tooth was cracked - my best tooth in my mouth.  I cried again.  Becky and Glenn finished the loading and were ready to take the last load to ‘55’.  There was no time to feel sorry for myself. I received no empathy.



The last load of cows was unloaded at ‘55’ in the dark.  I positioned my headlights toward the rear of the trailer so the cows could see to step off.  Once off, who knows where they went.  They are black.  It was night. I think we fastened the gates.



We were all tired, thirsty and hungry.  I was afraid to eat as my teeth and gums were hurting.  I called Matt for much needed sympathy.  He broke a tooth once.  He could relate. I was only able to leave a message.  It was still early in Alaska, 4:30 PM, but Matt called me right back with some comforting words.  The kids were more sensitive than husband.



Once, back home for good, I was ready to collapse.  My foot hurt from a previous gardening incident and my mouth hurt enough for a dose of Ibuprofen (unusual for me to take). Then, Becky realized Jake was not at home.  She heard him barking from below the house where he was stranded.  Becky grabbed a flashlight and went to Jake’s rescue. 



I was already thinking about my trip to the dentist the next morning.  I was thinking about the cows getting use to their new home.  I was thinking about the fence guy leaving a gate open at ‘55’ when he retrieved his equipment.  I was thinking about the work that still needed to get done; after all, it is spring, a very busy season. I was thinking about our taxes which we have not started.  My mind was on overload. 



Maybe today, it is morning, will be better.  I can only hope!



The sky in the east is getting lighter and lighter as the sun is beginning to rise.  Another day…




No comments:

Post a Comment