summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Ode To Spring


I looked out from the upstairs window this morning. I thought I was home alone, except for Jake and Buddy; but, I was not.



Birds of every species, regularly found in my garden, were flying here, flying there, and flying everywhere, throughout the yard.  I tried to take a count, but soon lost track due to the many numbers and the many flight paths. 



The Blue Jays seemed to be the most predominant species; but, then again, they are the largest and one of the more colorful - easier to see.  I also observed: Cardinals, Mockingbirds, Chickadees, Sparrows, Wrens, Crows, and numerous others flying past too fast for my identification purposes.  All I knew was that my garden was filled with birds.


I noticed one Mockingbird twisting himself out from my holly bush before flying to the nearby fence.  My first thought was that he was building a nest in that particular holly (the past two years those Mockingbirds had a nest in the taller holly tree next to the house) - not a good idea; too close to the ground, near our cats. Maybe he was building a phony nest to fake out Cricket and Onnie. I grabbed the upstairs binoculars (have to be prepared at any moment) to get a closer look, especially since I saw that same holly bush violently shake - not normal for a holly bush.  I discovered that Mockingbird was eating the remaining holly berries and was having a particularly difficult time removing one from the branch, thus; the shuddering of the bush.



I am so glad to have the birds back in full force. They constantly entertain.

No comments:

Post a Comment