summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Avian Aria


I woke up early this morning.  3:15 AM to be exact.  Glenn, too, woke up and opened the window; first time, this year.  The slight breeze coming in through the screened opening was pleasant.  I decided to go downstairs and start my work.  I really wanted to stay around and listen for the morning birds.  I was sure they would be singing this morning. Fully awake, I opted for the work.  Glenn returned to bed.



After three hours, I was tired, so I went back to bed.  At 6:15, it was still very dark outside. It was easy to fall asleep.



As the light began to break above the mountains to the east, I heard them; the morning birds. First one bird, then another until the entire choir was in full cantata.  I was ecstatic. 


This singing by my feathered friends is so beautiful, so cheery; in the early spring and as it continues throughout summer.  But, the first time, the first early morning melody sets the mood for the entire season. 




The birds are happy, I am happy.




P.S. Other, recent, recognizable signs of spring on the farm…peepers loudly peeping from the pond, bumblebees buzzing blossoms, forsythia and flowering quince in early bloom, groundhogs lumbering in the pastures…each day, I add to my list. My world is awakening!




P.P.S.  Even my chickens know it is spring.  Their dismal winter egg-laying numbers have miraculously increased over night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment