summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Parasitic Birds




Spring showers have arrived.    



Rain fell all day yesterday.  Today, the rain continued.  This grey morning, as I looked out at the bird feeder, I did not see my usual group of feathered friends.  I saw a small flock of a different species.   I initially identified them as cowbirds, both male and female.  The males have dark bodies with dark-brown heads and the females are on overall non-descript, medium brown.  Upon verification with my favorite Virginia bird book, I learned that I was correct.



The Birds of Virginia Field Guide noted that this bird makes no nests; it lays its eggs in the nest of other birds. The author, Stan Tekiela, states that the cowbird is Virginia’s only parasitic bird; there are some 750 species of such parasitic birds worldwide.




Later, I saw one of those male cowbirds sitting on a branch of the nearby silver maple tree. Watching and listening closely, I realized he was chirping one set of notes, and sounding a second, very different couple of notes.  I had to get a recording.




 I positioned myself on the back deck of the house; as close as I felt safe without disturbing the cowbird. I focused in on the cowbird, snapped the movie button on my camera and heard a distinct crunching.  At that very moment, Jake decided to snack on his dry dog food.  I moved the dog food dish up onto the oak barrel, out of Jake’s reach.  The cowbird was still in place.  I focused my camera a second time, snapped the movie button, and heard water lapping.  Again, at that very moment Jake decided he needed a long drink of water.  A bit impatiently, I moved the water bowl up onto the doghouse; out of Jake’s reach.  Miraculously, the cowbird was still in his same place.  Again, focusing the camera, clicking the movie button for a third time; and, all I heard was a loud clicking noise coming from Jake’s nails as he moved about the deck.  I told Jake to sit.  One more attempt should result in a recording of the unique call, but…



The cowbird was gone; better luck next time.  Jake just looked at me with an innocent expression as if to ask, “Where is my food and water?”  The cowbird; not his concern.


first apple blossom of the season - sweet!



Note:  Score 3 with my friend Ann.  Yesterday,  Ann and I spent the entire day in the classroom portion of a Virginia Hunter  Education Course.  Prior to yesterday, we had to read ,via the internet, hundreds of pages  and pass several tests before arriving at class.  We both passed.  Yippee!!  Ann plans to hunt turkey, and any copperhead that dares to cross her path.  Ann, to say the least, loathes copperheads.  I, on the other hand, plan to learn how to shoot at bulls’ eyes; on a target that is.  Then, I will be ready if, by chance, I have to eliminate a skunk that wonders too close to our abode.  I really do like skunks; their odor is putrid and makes me ill!



No comments:

Post a Comment