summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Yellow, Yellow Daffodils




I have clumps of daffodils growing all over my yard…in the gardens, in the lawn, along the woods and along our gravel road.   Annually, I transplant bulbs by separating the existing larger clumps, thus; making more clumps.  That is one nice benefit of daffodils, they divide and naturalize well.
just beginning to bloom ...


The early daffodils, what I affectionately call my STAR daffodils, are still making a strong showing.  These dainty blossoms were beaten down to the ground during a recent 3” snowstorm.   As the white stuff melted, they popped back up to wave their simple, yellow petals. They are a favorite of mine. 








My mid-season varieties have not fared as satisfactorily.  These daffodils, with very showy blossoms, were affected by the snow, too.  Unfortunately, once down, they remained down.  A few of the later blossoms manage to look good.  But, they are not in top form. Maybe next year…

 

I also adore what I call my old-fashioned daffodil.  I transplanted many bulbs over the years from the original homestead area of the farm, up around our current home.  I wanted to be able to enjoy these flowers daily, not just when I took an early spring walk where the Wilson Mansion once stood.



My later season daffodils are mere buds, or better yet, are still forming their buds.  I am so glad that I still have many more daffodils to come to brighten my yard and home.  Daffodils are the perfect harbinger of spring.

With all the different varieties, daffodil season is lengthy.

I am not complaining.



P.S.  Clocks were set ahead one hour today; changing to Daylight Saving Time.  There was still a hint of light in the western sky at 8:00 PM - woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment