summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

And The Pains Begin!

The unofficial spring is moving at lightning speed.  I will have to work fast to keep up with the seasonal chores.  But, no matter how early in the year I begin or how fast I work; I always get behind.  No surprise here!

Today, I spent about one hour in the yard clipping dead plant material that I had left for protection or winter interest - spent sedum flower heads, dried mum plants, frilly-ended flower stalks.  These dead plants look pretty frosted with ice or a bit snow, but not in a spring garden. I pruned my four grape vines.  They are still juvenile plants, but I anticipate fruit yield will be greater this year than last.  We are still enjoying the Concord jam made from last’s summer harvest.





The sun was out in full force.  I was downright hot.  



Promptly, I became tired.  I am not use to weeding.  I will have my weeding back and leg muscles, my weeding stoop in great shape by the time August rolls around.  Until then, two ibuprofen as necessary should alleviate the inevitable pain. Unfortunately, I am one of those people who do not like to take medication.  I endure the pain.  After all, it will just return the next gardening day.



When I stopped weeding, I took a quick inventory of the status of the garden. I observed one treasure; took a few steps, and was awarded another prize. I am excited!



Buds are breaking.



Flowers are in bloom.




Plants are growing.


Buds are hinting at soon-to-be blossoms.



Discovery abounds daily.  Don’t wait for your flowers to be in full bloom to appreciate them.  You are missing so much joy.  Take a walk every day, look closely, witness the little changes - you might just encounter your own pearl.


No comments:

Post a Comment