summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, March 16, 2012

Spring is in the Air

early blossoms -  ornamental Bradford Pear - announcing that spring has arrived!

I went for a walk this after noon; Jake and Buddy came along.  Buddy, of course, made several runs out in front of us on his own.  He always returned, tongue hanging long from his mouth. Jake lagged behind me.  He was not going to take any more steps than he had to make.



The day was overcast, perfect for my midday walk; but it was far from being grey.  I decided to walk down through the greening pastures.  Both cows and sheep were off in distant fields, so I would not have to worry about opening/closing any gates.  My return trip would be uphill all the way; but, one reason for the walk was for exercise.  Exercise I would get.  A second reason for my walk was to enjoy the beginning of the spring season.  And, enjoy I did.  My mood was tranquil, but my surroundings were not quiet.



I heard more birds than I could see.  I heard more bird calls than I could ever identify.  I heard tweets, and cheeps, and caws, and whistles, and shrills, and twitters, and chirps, and bird sounds that I could not even describe.  Each sound blended into an enchanting melody.  What a great way to welcome spring.  And, this is only the launching of many more delightful moments.  I am ready to partake…one precious minute after precious minute.


Buddy and I made it back to the house before we realized Jake was not with us.  I heard a bark and looked back down at the bottom of the pasture.  There, Jake was  wandering alone.  I called.  He did not seem to hear.  I looked 15 minutes later. Jake continued to ramble.  If Jake does return to the house in one hour, I will go and fetch him. 


But, first, I needed  to take a rest myself. 

Well, I could not wait.  Two minutes later, I saw Jake in the distance, gave a call and he barked in response.   Jake heard me, but he could not figure out that I was up at the house calling him.  He just wandered about aimlessly, barking for help.  Unfortunately, he was exhibiting signs of doggie dementia. Too tired to walk down a second time, I jumped on the 4-wheeler.  When I got within sight of Jake, I could tell he recognized me as he came running with tail wagging and tongue waving in his smile.  He was not lost any longer.  Slowly but surely, Jake followed me, on the 4-wheeler, back to the house.  Soon, Jake was back in familiar territory. 

I must make a mental note…never leave Jake behind again.  He is no longer able to find his way home.


And, a tear rolled down my cheek.

No comments:

Post a Comment