summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, March 23, 2012

Cherry Blossoms

Last week, I trimmed a branch off of one of my two cherry trees.  I brought the bare branch into the house, placed it into a jar of water, and watched every day to see if the buds would open and bloom. They did today. The exact same day as my cherry trees, one sweet and one sour, started to bloom - outside.


The blossoms are pure white and look so delicate.  And, their fragrance hints at sweetness. A slight breeze sends the tiny petals flying.




Both of these trees are still very young.  This will be their second season that they will produce fruit.  Last year, I was able to make one very small cherry pie with the sour berries - ohhh…so good.  We were also able to eat a handful of the sweet cherries.




I hope we will be able to increase our harvest this year.  Perhaps, two pies?



Of course, we will have to get a jump on the birds.  They seem to know just the moment the cherries get ripe.


No comments:

Post a Comment