summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Blueberry Bomb


And, I am not referring to a catchy recipe name.


delicate spring flowers on my blueberry bush


I have to admit that my blueberry plants, eight in all, are disgraceful.




I planted three small bushes years ago.  One died and the other two are not only looking poorly, but they did not produce one, not one, berry this season.  And, they have not grown one iota in stature either.


beautiful blueberry blush


I added six new plants two years ago.  They are alive, but not thriving.  Fortunately, those six produced enough blueberries for me to make one batch of muffins this morning; hurray!  (Yes, that is a bit of sarcasm.) There are still immature berries on the thin branches, but not enough to announce the crop a success.




All my blueberry plants are weak, spindly, short; and, they are experiencing negative growth (die back).



The positive is that the mature blueberries do taste delicious; fresh, right off the bush or baked in muffins.  I just wish there were more to enjoy.




YUMMY!

The problem?  I believe the soil is alkaline; the opposite of what blueberries crave - acid.  So, I am determined to not only keep my blueberry plants alive, but to improve their vigor.  I have adopted a Miracid regime to my gardening chores. 



Next year I anticipate a bounty of blueberries; well…at least an increase over this season’s harvest.


A Special Note:  My uncle celebrates his  95th birthday  today...Happy Birthday Uncle Gerald!

No comments:

Post a Comment