summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

More Than Just Cherry Pie

spring cherry blossoms


Our cherry season has just about come to an end.  There are about a handful plus sour cherries left on the tree, ripening so slowly.  The sweet cherries have been long gone for weeks; totally enjoyed by Glenn and myself, I must add. The birds were either kind or they dislike sweet cherries, but they had no impact on the resulting amount of sweet cherries.



The sour cherry crop was better than I had expected.  I was hoping to gather enough cherries for two pies.



Initially, I baked one pie from the earliest of the ripened cherries.  This pie was just about inhaled by Glenn as cherry pie is his favorite.  But, as the cherries continued to ripen and were picked; the harvest was more of a success than I originally hoped.





I was able to freeze enough cherries for another pie.  I experimented by drying another batch in the dehydrator for use in future scones and Ranger cookies baking.   And, I made Cherry Crisp, a new recipe for me, on two occasions.  Glenn determined that he likes Cherry Crisp topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream better than cherry pie…what a admission; and, this from a guy who does not favor desserts.



Glenn and I were both pleased with the overall cherry yield considering the young age of our two trees.  Just think…next year should be even more productive as the trees continue to grow. 




And, have more Cherry Crisp on the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment