summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Carefree Color


Butterflies are special. 


Spicebush Swallowtail

When a butterfly, or moth, comes floating past me while I am out in my garden, I always stop and watch its flight.  I have been doing this ever since I was a little girl; a wonderful habit to retain.  I would also go running to my Mother pleading for a butterfly kiss.  She always relented.

Zebra Swallowtail

Now, if I am especially fortunate, the butterfly will light upon a nearby flower; whereby, I can watch the nuances of every motion…eating, wing flutter, stepping from one petal, one flower to another.  Most times, the butterflies are too speedy to study.  They land for one second and are airborne swiftly and carefree. They seem most comfortable, and are most beautiful, gliding along the breeze.  I have learned to be expeditious to enjoy these momentary visitors to my garden.

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail

I am most intrigued by the color of the wings’ scales; similar to fabric; bold, concise color on the top, muted color on the underside.   The colors displayed can include black; white; and every hue, tint, value on the color wheel.  The colors also form a pattern specific to a unique species of butterfly; thus, making identification easy. Well, not quite easy; more like helpful.  Even with butterfly identification book in hand; at times, I find it very difficult to hone in on the exact Lepidoptera.

Monarch


This week the majestic Monarch is the mainstay in my garden.  Last week, the swallowtails, the zebra even more prevelent than the eastern tiger.  (Sounds like I live in a jungle.) I also had a rare look at a grape leaffolder. 

Grape Leaffolder (moth) on a lawn chair - what? That cannot be very nutricious or delicious.

Next week...I am waiting with anticipation to see what will float in on the wind!

Is that a flower or a butterfly...look closely, it is both!  That one is really working for its nectar!




No comments:

Post a Comment