summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Meadowlark Sighting



Today, I saw two meadowlarks sitting on a nearby fence.  One was singing, sweetly.



I was thrilled.  I had never seen a meadowlark.



When I announced my sighting to Glenn, his response was, “Big deal.  I see them all the time in the lower pastures.”



Well, it was a big deal because I have not seen them.  Of course, Glenn spends 95% of his time down in the pastures while I do laundry, dishes, garden, and clean.  There is a good reason he sees them all the time.  As for me, I was glad that these meadowlarks were part of my immediate world.



And, the day before, Becky called me outside to view a couple of birds in our silver maple tree.  I looked and I could not even see one bird.  ‘There, there!’ Becky repeated emphatically and pointing her finger in the direction I should be focused.  “Where, where?’ I replied.  Suddenly, those two birds flew out from their concealed position, crossing right above our heads. 



The lead bird was black and bold orange.  The following bird muted and much lighter color.  Becky and I concluded orioles.  Orchard Orioles to be exact...we think. 



I hope these birds stay around so that I can get another look-see.



Two beautifully colored bird pairs, my first verifiable verification of either species; within a two day time frame…pretty remarkable birding , even if by chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment