summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Hurray for Hydrangeas


I have two hydrangeas growing in my garden.




One is what I call my generic hydrangea…huge flower clusters adorning, almost hiding, the shrub.  The overall color is peculiar as some flowers are pink, others blue, and still others seem to be a combination of the two resulting in a lavender tint.


 copious spring rains were a tremendous help toward the production of such large and plentiful floral balls


What is a bit confusing is that the petal color of the hydrangea is usually a result of the soil in which the plant grows; blue flowers indicate alkaline soil and pink flowers indicate acid soil.  So, what is pH of my soil?



I really do not care.  I just love that I get a combination and mix of both colors on one plant as I think the pastels are most attractive together.




My second hydrangea displays the lacey-type flowers.  Again, this hydrangea is so different from the more common hydrangea; yet, beautiful in its distinction. The flowers are airy, and numerous.  This hydrangea does not leave the ph of the soil up for question...always intense blue, so the soil is definitely alkaline.



But, the best characteristic of both of my hydrangeas is that the flowers persist for weeks and weeks; which means I get to enjoy the blooms for weeks and weeks.




I applaud my hydrangeas for their endurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment