summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Check One Off from My ' New To Do' To Do List

Yesterday, I treated myself to a ‘fun’ class - jewelry-making.  This has been on my new ‘to do’ list for years.



The class was small, only five attendees, which I prefer since I get better one-on-one instruction (a main reason for taking a class) in a more informal setting. 


Concentration...


The hands-on class was very basic and very novice; perfect for my initial journey; and, so much better than teaching myself from a book. The instructor, a post-grad student, introduced us to the exact amount of material for such a first-time class and was willing to share her knowledge in a manner that revealed her love of jewelry-making.


Even more concentration...


The class was held in a defunct teen center, smack dab in the middle of a city neighborhood, in Staunton; city of Becky’s short -term residence.  As we listened to the instructor, as we lined up beads, as we strung beads; we could hear the neighbor’s yelling profanities, a dog barking sporadically, and a few miscellaneous emergency vehicles whizzing by in full siren mode.  I had forgotten, since the days of my youth, what community life was really like and how noisy it can be.  I hear racket on the farm; currently it is crickets chirping and Glenn grinding and pounding metal as he repairs his old livestock trailer.  I guess my noise would be irritating to city dwellers.


After the pounding and grinding; then, came the welding.


The five of us women worked diligently and chatted minimally.  We had a mission; to produce at least one piece of unique jewelry during our class time.


I needed to finish the bracelet at home with a spot of glue on the knot...now, I am afraid to cut the loose ends of the elastic string off for fear the knot will not hold.


After three hours, I was able to walk away with enough knowledge to continue this craft on my own along with a finished necklace, finished bracelet, and the materials to make a simple pair of pierced earrings.


What do you think?  Not bad for my first try....huh?


Jewelry-making was a success.





P.S.  This morning I checked the Internet for supplies.  There are thousands and thousands of beads (size, shape, color) from which to choose besides the unending choices of string/wire, clasps, and findings (a jewelry term signifying miscellaneous supply needs).  This undertaking will be more difficult than I initially thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment