summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Civilization

I spend a lot of time on the farm.  In fact, I rarely leave.  I have no reasons to except for that occasional grocery shopping trip and that once-in-awhile visit to friends. Weeks can pass before I make a  trip off farm.  And, as fuel prices increase, my trips seem to get more infrequent.

So, when I do make that 17-20 mile, one way (depending on which direction I go) drive to buy groceries, I feel like I have entered a different world - paved roads, houses and barns, road signs, vehicles including 18 wheel tractor trailer trucks, school buses, people, traffic lights, stores,...civilization.

Daily, I am surrounded by tree-covered mountains; grassy pastures; tall, dense woods; cows; sheep; sunrises;  sunsets; cloud-adorned, blue sky; cats and dogs; tranquility; my own small, world - my normal.

Today I went grocery shopping. I felt odd.

My grocery trip was an adventure, a trip to foreign territory; a short diversion from my ordinary life, a break in my 'hermit' tendencies.  Tranquility was replaced with activity...a kind of energy.

I have to admit...I did enjoy having a change in my scenery - different mountains, different farms, different feelings.  (I can still forego the houses and traffic with no regrets.)   I felt like I took a lavish trip for a short time of my day, for a little amount of money; and,  the reward was so worthwhile.   I felt revitalized.

I need to make more of an effort to add more changes to my life - what a boost!

No comments:

Post a Comment