summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, February 17, 2012

The Old Silo

I like old farm structures - nothing says 'country' better!

So, when we recently purchased the property, named '55', the silo was a plus.

I am not a silo aficionado, but I do like to observe silos in my county as well as when I travel (which is rare) across the various parts of the country.  Each one is unique.

Silos differ in construction materials (tile, concrete, metal), color (white, blue, brown), and height (varying from short to tall).


Our silo has some little windows.



Each silo stands as an icon to the past and present lifestyle of dairy farming.



These are our neighbor's silos as seen from our side of the fence.  As you can count, they are big into silos.  After all; our  neighbor, Mountain View Dairy, is a real, working dairy farm producing not only milk, but they also make cheese - yummy!

Our silo is empty except for a few feet of old silage (feed) at the base and a few resident pigeons roosting at the top. 


Becky, feeling a bit rambunctious, climbed the rungs attached to the exterior of the silo. She continued to the top - 40 feet. (Glenn gave Becky a tape measure to drag up with her as he was curious to its actual height.)

A female runner jogging by, on the county road just feet from the silo, stopped to introduce herself as a neighbor and commented, ‘that frightens me’ as she noticed Becky ascend.  I responded with, ‘that frightens me, too’ as I was trying not to watch - the overprotective mother in me (a learned trait from my own Mother) kicked in with the notion that every activity is dangerous.  The three dogs from across the road ran over, followed closely and to be retrieved by their owners.  A truck stopped to allow the dogs to cross - a real bucolic ‘block party’.


Country kids will always be country kids, even when they are in their 20’s.

1 comment:

  1. "... even when they are in their 20's"... and 30's and 40's and 50's and 60's!!!!! asy

    ReplyDelete