summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Snake in my Garden

Yes...it is early February.  Yes...the temperatures are mild, mild in the forties.  Yes...the ground is cold.  Yes...snakes like sun and hot temperatures (or, so I thought).

And, yes...there is a snake in my flower bed.  Albeit, small snake; but snake nonetheless. Again, the weather is mild, but snake mild?



Glenn called it a 'garden' snake and I will believe him. 


Normally, I do not think about snakes while gardening, hiking or otherwise.  I just don't! I think more about tripping over a rock, log, or my feet.  I never think about the possibility of meeting up with a snake.  Unfortunately for my friend, the consummate outdoor gal....

Last summer, Ann was inches away from a mature, birth-giving poisonous copperhead while weeding in her garden, the foot of space between her house and her butterfly bush. Weeks later, after she calmed down; she learned to shoot a gun, bought snake boots; but still, she has not ventured back out to her garden - a place that has always given her peace, pleasure and happiness.  Happy, she is not.

I guess I would say I am lucky.  I only have a garden variety type of snake.

I would prefer the snake not be in my garden, but then I am not going to touch/move it either, so....

I will assume my snake is harmless, leave it to wander off on its own (which it is doing inch by slow inch), and pretend that it was never there - I can do that!


1 comment:

  1. Guess I'll be packing my snake boots next time I visit the farm! asy

    ReplyDelete