summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, February 19, 2012

A New Bird on the Farm (55)

Early this morning, Glenn and I drove over to '55'. I wanted to get a look at the progress of the fence building project and I wanted to take a short, early morning walk. We were experiencing very light flurries, not the kind that worries a person of accumulating...at least, not yet.  I did make sure to wear my heavy down jacket, stocking cap, and knitted mittens.  I was prepared to stay warm and comfortable. 



Bluebirds darted here and there near the main creek. The flashes of bright blue certainly drew our attention amid the grey of the day.  I made a mental note to get some bluebird boxes constructed and installed.



As we neared the barn, I saw a small hawk (actually falcon) fly from wooden fence post to wooden fence post. I instantly noted the deep blue coloring. I immediately identified the bird from studying the Birds of Virginia Field Guide (Stan Tekiela)…


We were watching an American Kestrel - a definite WOW moment since this is the first Kestrel I have ever positively observed. I was prepared with camera in hand, but the distance was still too great for an up close photo. The nearer I inched toward this bird, the further away he would fly. (I have got to buy myself a telephoto lens soon - I am missing too many fabulous nature photos.) But, I took the best shot possible, hoping that viewing the bird in ‘playback zoom’ I would get some of the detail I desired.  I did.  Enough detail to verify that I was watching a male American Kestrel - very distinct color of blue wings and rusty back and tail.



I was not expecting such a wonderful find when I headed out the door. 



Wonders never cease…





Note:  It is afternoon and the snow flurries have increased in intensity and snow is sticking on the ground, and on branches…true winter weather has arrived in Rockbridge County, Virginia.








P.S.  Surprise to ME!  I just realized that I had a second Follower (I had only one Follower for so long, I never much looked at that side of the blog) and I also  had a comment waiting moderation, both from 2-10-12.

I apologize for my tardiness - something new (on this blog) is still challenging my abilities. I have much to learn.

Thank you both, and I hope you continue to enjoy my blog!


1 comment: