summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, July 18, 2011

A Bright Idea - Freedom

Yesterday, I saw a flash of a white-tailed deer tail.  The waving white flag barely peeked above our tall, pasture grasses, so I am guessing the tail belonged to a fawn.  It was like a flash of light, visible for a second, then gone.

Speaking of light, I was on my soap box at the grocery store today - spreading the word on the pending demise of the incandescent light bulb. Well, I was actually in the checkout line; metaphorically, it was my soap box. I really had several cashiers worked up.

Yes, I left the farm to go out today - first, to Donald's to pick-up our whole beef, ground beef we just had processed. We now have a freezer full of USDA Inspected ground beef, and it is for sale.  Since I was already dressed to be out in public (a totally different wardrobe than the clothes, basically rags I regularly wear on the farm - use your imagination), I decided to go grocery shopping (which has been on my 'to do' for over one week now) and to purchase a few sewing supplies for a potential Christmas gift project.  Let's see if I will finish said project this Christmas or the one in 2012.

Back to my soap box...I am angry that the recent incandescent light bulb legislation, to save and continue to use this icon, did not pass.  I happen to like the incandescent.  In contrast, the new, 'green' alternative (curly-type) is expensive; does not last as long as claimed (I have been talking with people who have tried the new technology); is dim (especially for close, detailed work - perfect for a lounge); is dangerous; and is supporting the Chinese economy rather than the U.S. economy.  The new bulbs are made in China.  I guess if you need a job you can always relocate to Shanghai - Mandarin anybody?

Is anyone out there as concerned as I am???  If so, please call your members of Congress and ask them to vote YES to save the bulb on, what I hear, will be a second vote.

Or, have you heard what Texas is considering.  Texas has a plan to produce incandescent light bulbs and sell them in-state; thus, bypassing Federal regulations.  Call your state government and strongly advocate for a similar program in your state.  I will be contacting Bob McDonnell here in Virgina.  Even though this current governor continues to move Virginia in the right direction, I still want my views known.  Virginia operates in the black, was recently named the number one state in the country for business opportunities, and is challenging the legality of Obama Care in court - all without a tax increase.  I am fortunate to live in Virginia and not, hmmmmm - Illinois or California come to mind.

Glenn noticed and mentioned that I sure am getting political.  Maybe, but I do know that I do not want any more of my rights/freedoms taken away by our Government.  The list of 'no longer have' keeps growing, and it continues in a subversive manner.  Today it's the light bulb...what will be on that list tomorrow?

Stargazer lily update - the aroma intensifies as more flower buds open 

No comments:

Post a Comment