summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Night Sounds

In the summer, I sleep next to an open window, in fact within inches, for a couple of reasons.

One reason is to receive the cool breezes the night air delivers.  This respite is particularly anticipated after a day of high temperature and high humidity.  We have no air-conditioning in our home, but none is needed on the farm, at least at night.  The fresh air is so much more desirable - fragrant and calming - perfect for a decent night's sleep.

Second, and just as worthy, are the night sounds I enjoy as I drift off to sleep - the croaking of the frogs at the pond, the chirping crickets, the whoosh of the air currents trembling the leaves in the nearby maple, and especially Sam singing his repertoire.

Sam is one of two resident mockingbirds.  Omie is his mate.  ('Sam and Omie's' is my favorite Outer Banks eatery, so I decided to compliment the establishment in naming our faithful mockingbirds - they hang out in our yard, year after year) Sam sings most of the day; and now as I discovered music flowing in through my window, that he also sings most of the night.  I have enjoyed him at 11:00 PM, midnight, 1:00 AM...whatever time I retire.  I wonder, does Sam ever sleep? 

I opted to call him Sam during the daylight hours and Crazy Sam at night - seems logical to me.

a night sky at the farm

No comments:

Post a Comment