summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Random Sunflowers

The actual air temperatures persist in the 90's to the upper 90's.  The forecast is not changing any time soon.  The grass is crunchy, my flowers are dwindling, but random sunflowers continue to bob their sunny heads throughout my gardens. 




This year, in most every perennial bed, sunflowers popped up.   I have about 35, plus or minus, random sunflowers currently growing. Sunflowers not planted by me; but by, I am guessing, birds. I routinely keep the bird feeders filled - winter, spring, summer and fall. The main ration is grey-striped sunflower seeds. Thus, the most probable source of these garden beacons.




I had never had this happen before.  I would always get a couple of unsolicited sunflowers, but not 35. 

Of course, even though they are a bit out of place among most of the other plants, they do have a tendency to tower at 5 or 6 feet, I do not have the inclination to pull them out. They add color when color is lacking.  They put a grin on my face.  I am glad to have lots of random sunflowers.




The hoot is that the places where I purposely sowed sunflower seeds - nothing.  That's right, bare ground.  I presume I am not the sunflower planting aficionado that the blue jays, cardinal or even sapsuckers happen to be.

So, I will just sit back and welcome what my feathered friends have offered me.  I will think of these haphazard  blooms as repayment/thanks for my benevolence to them.




No comments:

Post a Comment