summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Posy Passion a.k.a. Star Power

OK, I will admit it, I love flowers.  Are you getting tired of my flower photos yet?  I warn you...more are coming.

I think my love of flowers comes from my love of color.  And, what better way to express color than with flowers - especially those grown in my own yard.  Throughout the growing season, I produce white flowers, black flowers (well almost, the color is actually a deep, dark purple) and every color of the spectrum between.

And, flowers that are not only colorful, but are also fragrant - double WOW!

Add uniqueness, texture, composition, relation to other plants, growth habit.  All these features come into play when I evaluate a flower's attraction.  Each particular flower has its own assets, qualities.  But, my final decision to include a specific floral selection in my garden is based on pure likability.  If I like it, I plant it.  If it thrives - yeah!  If it declines, I dig it up and try a new location - works for me!

One, particularly pallid (basically white or pastel pink) flower, but one that excites me is my Stargazer lily.  The Stargazer lily is both showy, in size, and aromatic - attracts a load of butterflies, and it attracts me.



143+ Stargazer lily flowers and buds


I planted one bulb several years ago.  Today, just as the first of the flower buds opened, I counted 143+ more buds - 143+ more blooms to adore.  Can you believe it?  One bulb and now 143 flowers.  I wonder what the number will be next year.  This lily is one of the easiest flowers to grow and one that pays so much dividend - plant the bulb, delight in the flowers, cut the spent stalks in the fall and wait for the new stems to grow to maturity next summer.  How easy is that?






 
My favorite characteristic of my Stargazer lily is that this lily exudes, and I do mean exudes, an intense, and I do mean intense, sweetness discernible from several feet.  I make a solid effort to walk near, if not to this plant daily during the flowering stage for the fragrance alone.  The scent inebriates me, and I keep going back for more - whiffs, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment