summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Rain, rain...keep on coming!

More rain arrived last night.  Farmers and gardeners never question summer rain - the more, usually, the better.

I woke to no view as the entire farm was shrouded in dense fog.  Ten feet being my maximum sight distance, I felt like I belonged to another planet.  As the morning hours ticked away, the farm was released from its ethereal hold. The morning progressed into afternoon, the air became sultry and very uncomfortable.  I slowly walked out to the garden to harvest sugar peas for supper.  I checked the vines three times, as routine, making sure that I did not miss a single mature pod.  I checked once more for good measure and there were five perfect, just ripe for picking, pea pods grouped together right in front of my own two eyes.  How did I miss those?  Oh well, in the basket they went.

sugar peas for supper


At precisely 5:00 PM, the weather changed abruptly - dark, billowy clouds quickly hid the sun, the wind blew strong and steady, and the air temperature dropped ten degrees in minutes.  Although a bit scary, the change was a big relief, but a sure sign that a storm was beginning to brew.  I guess more rain will be arriving tonight. 

With all this recent precipitation, the flowers in my garden look amazing.  But, you be the judge...a picture is worth...
red hot poker
sedum
phlox
sunflower
spiderwort
coneflower

ice plant

Russian sage











No comments:

Post a Comment