summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, July 8, 2011

One of My Favorite Things

I love to putter in my garden - my flower garden that is.  My perennial beds are randomly designed in what are more like garden islands floating on my lawn.  I think my gardens are extensive, but I realize that is a very relative term.  Let's just say I never lack for any work, time - yes, work - no.







Initially, when we first moved to this farm about 22 years ago, I started with flower beds around the base of the house - pretty typical for a novice - adding to what was already growing from previous occupants.  As I purchased (many trips to many garden centers including Andre Viette's where I met Andre, himself, regularly puttering in his gardens - how lucky was I) or obtained (such as thinnings from a friend - more luck) new and different plants, I needed more space.  I added a small oval flower bed in the lawn.  This small oval expanded into a larger oval.  Soon I had ovals, circles and amoeba-shaped beds throughout my yard.  Then I expanded my lawn into the pasture; then the following year, a little further into the pasture.  I added a few fruit trees, apple and cherry; ornamental trees, shrubs and grasses; fruit-bearing bushes, blueberry and raspberry; and grape vines in ensuing years.  Glenn kept moving a temporary fence to meet my needs until he decided I had taken possession of more than enough of HIS (and his cows) pasture - he built a permanent, 4-board wooded fence two years ago.  So, now I have a permanent parameter, boundary if you will.  I cannot expand my perennial gardens any further than this obvious delineation.  I am still adding to my plant collection and I am staying within my bounds - a win, win situation if you ask me.  Now, if I can only keep Buddy from digging up my plants...

No comments:

Post a Comment