summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Feeding Frenzy

It is HOT, sizzling hot, and so uncomfortable.  I do not want to move, to eat, to do anything; except, maybe go down to our farm pond to cool off in the water.  But, those fish...

This is the third year we have had the gratification of swimming and relaxing in our pond.

The first year, after Glenn finished construction, the pond filled up enough for us to actually 'get in' for the entire month of September.  Glenn and I were in the water almost every evening.  The respite was marvelous.

February, of the next year, Glenn purchase a bunch of 'baby' fish - blue gill, redear, catfish.  They arrived in large plastic bags.  I remember Glenn going around the edge of the pond dumping out the bags.  The little fish seemed to disappear.  By May, our pond visits began again.  I splashed into the water.  I swam.  I treaded.  I floated. Then, it happened.  I felt something strike at my leg.  Then, again.  Those darn fish were trying to nibble - ME!  I discovered that if I remained in continuous motion, they would not bother me.  But, how long can a person, that person being me, swim.  Not long.  So, I purchased an air mattress for my floating pleasure - problem solved.

This year, the third year, those fish have grown quite large - eating size.  They continue to strike and we continue to utilize floats.

Glenn has decided that he wants those fish even larger, so he occasionally feeds them pond fish pellets.  He goes to the edge of the small dock and tosses.  Within a second, there is an out and out feeding frenzy.  Those catfish gorge on the pellets as if they have never eaten.  The lesser fish eat more mannerly as they peck at the small, floating morsels.



At first, I was appalled.  Bigger fish...is someone crazy?  Pretty soon I will have 'Jaws' coming after me.  Fortunately, there is an up side to the feeding...the fish are no longer interested in assaulting us.  And, for me, that is huge.  Feed first, swim second.  Let's go to the pond...



No comments:

Post a Comment