summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Fourth of July!

Crickets loudly heralded the Fourth of July during the early hours of the morning.  I hoped to catch a breeze from the same open window which conveyed the music, expecting to cool off from the previous day's high heat.  Coolness and sleep eventually prevailed.

Later, I was awakened by a raucous pack of coyotes passing through the lower pastures of the farm.  Our border collie, Buddy, listening from his post on the back deck, responded with quite a howl of his own - going back to his roots, I guess.

Buddy
Today (what better day to choose), I proclaim that I need balance in my life - a kind of rejuvenation, revitalization.  I am hoping that my journal entries, regular or not, will guide me to this result.  I am anticipating that my old interests, my new interests, and those yet to be (yes, I am sure my list will expand) will meld into a melange of total contentment.  Give me one year and I will let you know if I have been successful.

Blackberry Lily
My blackberry lily bloomed today.  The glowing orange petals brighten a corner of my garden that is mostly green vegetation at the moment - a corner that is awaiting a burst of color from the several species of phlox growing there enmasse.  I rescued this one plant, from many that were growing in the middle of a hayfield, just days prior to the passing of the sharp blade of the mower, and transplanted it into my garden.  Year after year, I am able to observe and enjoy each bud as it untwists into the bold orange, and later, transform into seeds that develop in a cluster resembling the fruit of blackberry plants - hence, the name.

Like the crickets, all Americans should sing out and support the freedoms we all enjoy in the United States - Happy Independence Day!  May we be as free or freer one year from now as we are today.  Our government does not exist to keep us free.  The government exists to protect us.  We, the People, must work together and stand together to maintain our freedoms in this great land, this great country.  Let us uphold the United States of American as the greatest country on this earth - as an example to the world that a free republic is favorable to every citizen residing in that republic.

Happy Birthday, America!






No comments:

Post a Comment