summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, July 29, 2011

A Moment of Hope

Yesterday morning as I woke, I immediately looked out over the farm.  The house sits on a ridge and I get a fabulous vantage point of the majority of our farmlands and the Blue Ridge Mountains beyond. The scene is always one of tranquility.  What a perfect way to begin my day!



The first image to catch my eye was that of mist rising from the pond.  My thoughts immediately focused on relief as the haze indicated that the air temperature was cooler than the temperature of the pond water.  I ran outside to take advantage of the moment.  Regrettably, as the day advanced, we were back in routine of hot and dry weather.  I cannot remember when hot and dry was not the routine.  I was compelled to water the gardens - veggies first, perennials second.

Earlier in the week, Glenn purchased two soaker-type hoses.  Where have these gems been all my gardening life?  I am able to continuously water without the level of our well water being drawn down to empty. Eureka!

As I started to place the hoses, gingerly winding them through the established plants, I noticed that the plants were not only stressed, but they were beginning to die.  Leaves were more than wilted and shriveled, they were brown and dropping off.  A wilted perennial might survive, but a brown (dead) perennial is destined for the burn pile.  I waited way too long to start my watering regime.  Now, my only hope is better late than not at all.

The grass is on its own.  It is browning and crunchy, but usually responds positively and rapidly after a soaking rain.  Of course, we just need that soaking rain.  The green color will return to those brown blades. 

The pastures look brown from a distance, but they are growing fairly well with our new management.  The tops of the tall grass have matured and dried, but there are thick, green blades below providing adequate food for our cattle.

Driving past other farms, I shake my head at the brown fields that are grazed to nubs, exposing the bare, hard ground.  I am glad we have made the changes necessary to maintain healthy, sustainable pastures.

Glenn, Becky and I talk up our management.  We are passionate.  Some farmers grasp the method with interest and others reject it, keeping to their traditional methods - whatever....We are thrilled with our results and the recent weather conditions only reinforces our decision - the changes we made were brilliant!

No, the day was not cooler.  We did not receive any rain.  But, we are managing to 'ride out the storm' or, more accurately, 'ride out the unstorm'.

No comments:

Post a Comment