summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Dill in My Kitchen

I cut most of my dill, which was growing in the garden, three days ago.  These plants are the ones that self-seeded from last year's small crop that Becky had planted.  I have another, smaller, later crop that is still growing from seed I sowed this spring.  I did not know how large the self-seeded harvest would be and I wanted to make sure that I had plenty of dill for my bread-making and cooking.



Anyways...I brought a bunch of the long-stemmed herb into my kitchen and laid it on the counter.  The aroma was astonishing almost immediately.  Boy, do I dig the smell of dill.

My intent was to remove the seed heads and the feathery foliage from the stalk for drying.  I got busy.  The dill remained on my counter.  And, the kitchen was infused with such a delightful aroma.  By the second day, Glenn was getting a bit concerned over the lack of usable counter space.  The kitchen continued to be full of the savory, dill scent.  I spent a lot of time going through the kitchen drawing in large breaths, as I went about other chores.

Today, I finally got around to the dill.  It is already dried and ready to go into air-tight storage.  That was easy.  I almost hate to pack it up as I am still enjoying the 'essence of dill', which is still so prevalent.



I guess I can always open a jar of the dried herb whenever I feel the need for my 'dill fix'.  It will be handy, right there, on my kitchen shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment