summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, December 23, 2011

Deer Hunting - Season Over?

I do not know for sure, but I am thinking hunting season for deer has ended.

What makes me think that?  Well, for one; I do not hear any gunshot anymore.  And, second; the deer are starting to creep out of the woods and show their faces, and white tails, again.


They still move with caution, but they are wandering out into our open fields. They deer are sleek, tawny grey, and so beautiful.


In the woods they are near invisible; blending with the colors of the trees' bark.  Suddenly, a swish of that bushy, white tail gives away their concealment. Quickly, they bound off disappearing in mere seconds.

Prior to hunting season, we observe deer in our pastures and woods on a daily basis; during hunting season, none - not one!  Those deer are so smart....

I am glad to welcome them back - just as long as they stay away from my perennials in my garden.

I wish I had a telephoto lens for my camera....see the four in this photo?


Note:  I just found out that it is muzzle-loading season for one more week - I guess the deer are confident enough to come out of hiding.

No comments:

Post a Comment