summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

My Son's Birthday

Happy Birthday Matthew!

Today is my son's birthday.  I am already feeling a bit melancholy because I will not see him, I will not be able to give him a birthday hug.  In fact, I have not seen Matt for exactly one year.  I miss him. (my eyes are watering)

The one thing I do on my kids' birthdays...I reminisce about the day they were born.  Today will not be different.

Glenn and I were living in the south end of Rockbridge County - our first Virginia farm.

I was sitting at my desk (probably finishing off the last of my Christmas cards)  inside the house while Glenn built fence along the front hayfield.  Suddenly, I was sitting in a puddle. This is it, I thought....

I saw Glenn out front, so I opened the door and yelled as loud as I could so that he could hear me at his distance,  " GLENNNNN, COME HERE!!!!!!" His head popped up from his work, and he looked as though he could tell he was really needed.

I quickly called the doctor.  He asked me to stop by his office first so that he could give me quick examine to be sure I was ready to go to the hospital.  I was ready - the gripping pain had begun.

Glenn and I jumped (well, you  know what I mean) into the car.  First comment, "We need gas, better stop on the way into town."  Great....But, stop we did.  Then, the car would not start again - tank filled with gas and dead as the proverbial door nail.  Glenn's next suggestion was that I needed to get behind the wheel while he tried to push-start the car.  Pain and all, I rolled out of the car, slowly walked around to the driver side, and inched back in.  Glenn pushing, the car started.    (Note: Glenn discovered later that a very small part, that prevented the car from starting, broke at the gas station stop - what timing!) We returned to our 30 minute drive to town.

Arriving at the doctor's office, taking no further chances, Glenn left the car running.  The doctor verified what I already knew - it was time to get to the hospital. Back into the car for a quick, around the corner drive to the hospital.

I hate hospital's; but in this case, I pretty much had no choice. 

I went through the typical maternity check-in and was laying down, attached to a monitor, in a matter of minutes.  Each pain produced a spike on the monitor.  I started watching the monitor, then realized, that I did not need to be given a visual as to when I was experiencing pain - I knew it!

Five hours later, Matthew was pushed into the world.  Glenn, at my side, said he was purple.  Within minutes, I got my first glance of Matthew's little round, scrunched face (love at first sight).  Glenn and I had waited a long time for this moment.

The next time I saw Matthew was when I was awaken during the middle of the night, by a nurse, for Mathew's first of many feedings.  He was clean, bundled in blankets, and smelling like a baby.  I noticed he had a small spot, discoloration, on his shoulder area (of course I checked inside those blankets...) - an observation that would be helpful later during my hospital stay.  Once, I was brought the wrong baby, a girl.  Not mine, bring me the right one - NOW!  Verify name on bracelet - check, verify identifying mark - check....right baby!

The hospital stay was irritating - I wanted to get home and start my life as a mother.  A visit from the baby's doctor (who knew I needed a doctor for myself and a different one for the baby - I did not) and his comment - something about me being no spring chicken... what? - left me longing for a quick departure.

Finally, on Christmas Eve, I was given the word.  Matthew and I were going home. 

Dec. 25, 1984 - Our favorite Christmas gift!
Late December was extremely warm (in the 70's) that year.  So, On Christmas Day, Glenn and I (in shirt sleeves) took Matthew (bundled well in a snowsuit and hat) for his first walk around the farm. 

Matthew and I were inseparable for now.  I knew our bond would not last forever. 

Matthew is now a grown man - independent, intelligent, creative...

December 10, 2010 - Matthew and his Dad
Matthew has changed, but my love for him has not!
 
 
Have a fabulous birthday, Matthew!

No comments:

Post a Comment