summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Still Counting - Number 3

Glenn continues to amaze me - he is really checking off those 'honey do' chores I put on my Christmas List - thank you, thank you, thank you!

This one...trimming the trees/shrubs throughout the yard. 

Now,  I know this is not the best time of the year to trim trees and shrubs; but if not now, perhaps not for another year.  Spring is always so busy, that many spring delegated chores are totally neglected due to lack of time.  So, if I can sneak in tree trimming now, then now is the ideal time.  Besides, the task is so much easier when the leaves are off - less mess, better visual assessment.

When I say tree trimming, I mean a branch on this tree and a branch on another tree.  The overall cutting is quite minimal, but adds positively to the shaping and future growth of each specimen.   Two low branches off the fabulous sugar maple, a couple of  low hanging limbs (they always grab me when I mow the lawn) off the sweetgum, an odd-looking branch off the ginkgo, several crossing branches off the apples,  a few rogue stems off the dogwood shrub, hemlock, ornamental pear....

Glenn...start your chainsaw!

maple, off

sweetgum, off

ginkgo, off

apple, off

Save that nest in the apple tree!

pear, off

dogwood, off - isn't this one pretty?  Does anyone know the species? I am trying to find out!



Note:  Glenn is using his 'baby' chainsaw for my chores.  When he is felling trees; 30+ inches in diameter, 80 - 100 feet tall,  he uses a chainsaw three times the size, and three times the horsepower.
Here is a sampling of Glenn logging....


Glenn skidding medium-sized logs (left) which will go to the sawmill and small logs (right) which will go to the paper mill.

Large-size logs (not shown) are sold on site to a veneer log buyer.



Glenn delivering a load of medium-sized logs to a local mill. He trucks the logs long, then cuts the logs to length at the mill.


No comments:

Post a Comment