summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Nearing Year's End

Only a few days left to 2011....another year - come and gone - and, so quickly to boot!

I am finally putting my gardens to rest - getting to the last of my gardening chores for the season.

As I get older, I have to find easier (for me, that is) and faster ways to accomplish my gardening tasks.  Otherwise, I am one big body of pain for trying.

The past few years, Glenn has been kind enough to weed eat the perennials that have died back for the season.  I lead, point, and indicate how low each plant should be sheared. Glenn cuts.  Lastly, I return to rake the cut plant material out of the beds. Voila!  Gardens are neat, clean and ready, waiting for the warmth of the spring days to begin their growing process once again.


A few of the dried perennials are left standing for winter interest - ice or snow on the dried flower heads of the Autumn Joy sedum are so spectacular.  Also, I purposely retain the dried leaves and stems on some plants, like my mums, to provide extra winter protection . 


The more plants that can be attended to now, the fewer will need immediate attention in the spring - when there is less time for each chore.  There are so many tasks to complete in short order.  Once the weather warms, all plants take off - time has to be divided among many more jobs; planting the vegetable garden, mowing the lawn, pruning/trimming plants, unending weeding....so the more gardening I can accomplish in the fall/winter, the better for my time management come spring.


I am not trying to rush any season, as each season has a special beauty.  I am just trying to be more prepared so that I can enjoy each and every day to the fullest with the least amount of muscle soreness. 

And, if all the garden chores do not get done today...there is always tomorrow, or the spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment