summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Hip Hip (Two Years Later) Hooray - AKA - My First Christmas Gift

I really do not need much in the way of gifts; extravagant, expensive, inexpensive or otherwise.  What I do need is to get a few chores done that take muscle or experience with equipment.  Therefore, I did make a looooong list of gift suggestions, gave it to Glenn (neatly written), and have recited it to Glenn regularly; adding, as I think of new items. The list is VERY long.

Now, I do not expect the entire list to be accomplished/performed under the auspices of gift-giving status; even though, I do have a birthday this month, too.  But, an item or two or three crossed off would give me great joy.

Today, I received that first gift - the trimming of a branch stub that has been irritating me for two years.  Glenn cut the majority of the branch, which was broken, off from the silver maple two years prior to this past summer.  A five-foot stub remained because Glenn could not reach that high with his regular chainsaw, standing on the ground.  He said he would get it later with the aid of a ladder or his long chain saw.  I believed him.

The season passed, then the next summer, then another summer.  The reply to my many inquiries was," I am going to get it."  Yeah, I know, but when.  Well, today was when.


Glenn retrieved his long saw, sharpened the blade, topped off the oil and gas, and sauntered over to the tree.  Within a few seconds, that stub was cut off.  Hip Hip Hooray!

branch stub on
That is one BIG gift.
branch stub falling
That five foot long stub of a branch was always adding a dimension to many of my photos that I did not want as part of my photos. So, I had to shift a little to the left, or tilt my camera a bit low  to avoid the unwanted limb.  Also,the stub was always the first branch that would catch my eye as I looked out the window to view the beautiful scenery - I had to get past the uggggly!  Going back to my days as a forester...stubs are a definite NO,NO - cut always flush with the branch collar; never leave a stub, any length.  Yep,  that branch gave me many a day of annoyance!

And now today, I am happy.  Stub on the ground - might even be a piece of firewood when it dries - yep, I am happy!

Hmmm...I wonder if more 'gifts' are in the offing????

No comments:

Post a Comment