summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, December 19, 2011

Not So Hidden Treasures

Today was quite mild as mild December days go  - pleasant in the mid-fifties....so,  out to the garden to continue my clean-up work.

Even though most of the garden seems to be asleep, or at very least, napping;  as I scan my surroundings, there are still many wonders around ...













Abandoned birds nests, presently only slightly hidden, posed among the now bare branches of many shrubs - no wonder I had so many feathered friends in my yard this summer - my yard was their home.


Squirrel nests safely built; visible as leafy clumps high in the tree tops.


Bright red winter twigs of the many dogwood shrubs growing throughout my yard.  I still do not know the common or scientific name, but I enjoy their color, nonetheless.  I started with one shrub, and have transplanted several of the unending root sprouts over the years adding the sharp, red color to many corners of my garden.


Tiny pine cones adorn the evergreen Eastern Hemlock, holding fast within feet of our home.  This one tree gets extra special care as I try to keep it from being plagued by the woolly aldegid - an aphid that causes death within just a few growing seasons.  Most area hemlocks have  succumbed to this pest, but I baby my tree. Glenn and I transplanted our hemlock from the forest into our yard when it was only a 12 inch tall seedling - the mature tree now stands close to 25 feet tall - healthy and still growing taller.


Sweet gum seed balls swing in the wind as they hang from the branches as natural ornaments.  Each day, one or two drop, the corky and leafless branches becoming less decorated as the season progresses.



And, the flower buds - obvious on my taking a close look at several different plants -  flowering quince, silver maple, flowering dogwood - waiting for spring to burst forth with color and texture.  Imagine - a bit of springtime persistent during the sleeping season. 

flowering quince flower buds

silver maple flower buds

flowering dogwood flower buds





Look around...you, too, can discover many not-so-hidden treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment