summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, October 3, 2011

Autumn - Gathering Birds


I love to watch the birds gathering in the fall as they fly enmasse from one area of our pasture, light on a nearby tree, then fly back to that same pasture....the sound of their collective wings makes quite a thunderous flutter, not to mention their collective chirping - deafening if I am near enough to a huge group.  I protect myself if they all decide to fly overhead.  A direct hit is a certainty...


birds in flight are blurry















This morning I had to dispel a relatively small flock of transients that had landed in my red dogwood - the dogwood is still in its infancy and I was afraid the weight of all the birds would break a branch or two.  They were after the red berries.  Anyways, I much prefer to have my local bird population reap the tasty morsels -  like a reward for gracing me with their beauty throughout the year.

Occasionally, I get a glimpse of a tremendously gigantic flock, I mean big - a trail of birds spread out over what seems like one mile of air space, maybe more - the mass undulates back and forth, up and down changing direction so quickly- like a smooth, black wave traveling across the sky. 

I am still waiting for this year's wave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment