summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, October 28, 2011

I Don't Make Cupcakes

One of my favorite television shows is Cupcakes Wars.  This show begins with four, professional cupcake makers competing to have the best tasting cupcakes by the end of the hour.  The range of cupcake ingredients (some you would never put into a cake of any sort) and decorations are amazing. 

But, I don't make cupcakes, never have.  I do not even eat cupcakes - too messy. (I have had a couple over the years - opting for the carbs over frosting-free lips) In any case,  I wonder why this program has so much appeal for me???  Maybe just my drooling keeps me coming back.

But, I do make muffins.  Not as varied as those cupcakes, but enough variety to keep our taste buds satisfied.

Today, I had a black, and I do mean black (in peel only), banana on the counter.  I also had some sour milk sitting in the refrigerator.  What luck...perfect muffin ingredients.  Waste not, want not.

So, I mixed a basic muffin recipe replacing 1/2 cup white flour with wheat flour, used the sour milk,  used the black (extremely soft) banana, and added one of my baking eggs -  my farm-fresh eggs that have been stored in the refrigerator over one month - still good, still fresher than store-bought. (Note:  We sell only our freshest eggs, so we have plenty of surplus for my baking use)  No, we do not get food poisoning. Well,...at least,  we haven't yet!

The result...delicious and good-looking muffins - look at the golden brown crust, rounded tops, even interior texture - perfect.


It is such a great feeling to have success.  Cooking and baking disasters end up as chicken treats - sorry chickens, nothing to toss to you today.

But, what is even better than a freshly-made (as in same day) muffin?  A day-old muffin - the flavors blend and the muffins become more moist over night - yumm!

If the muffins are not eaten the first day, they are gone on the second!

No comments:

Post a Comment